Monday, September 24, 2012

      It has been over 3 weeks since Nana's funeral.  It was a rocky road for a little while, but I am happy to say that I am doing remarkably well.
      My therapist, told me that Nana's death, and seeing my abusive father again, were major stressors in my life, that could have sent me spiraling into a deep depression.  And depression often leads me to psychosis.
      I am so thankful that I was able to pull myself out of it.  I am so thankful that I had the strength.  But I didn't do it alone.  I have a great psychiatrist, a wonderful therapist, and some amazing family and friends, who allowed me to lean on them, who cared enough to listen to my words, who gave me heartfelt, encouraging support, and who prayed for me and prayed with me.
      I believe that emerging from mental illness takes a lot of work, on my part, as well.  Over the years, I have learned to reach out, to those I trust, and ask for help.  I use therapy and support groups to work through my issues.  I have used art to express myself.  I have a strong faith in God.  And since I started writing this blog, "My Uncomfortable Mind", my life has changed for the better.  I feel liberated....

1 comment :