Tuesday, April 15, 2014

     I don't want to scare anyone, away from psychiatric hospitalizations, but I will say, that my most recent experience was disruptive, loud, scary, uncomfortable, etc.
     My other hospitalizations, in the past, have been peaceful and without incident.  I was able to heal and recover peacefully.  But this time, I fought to leave early, because of all of the commotion, by other, very ill, very psychotic patients, was triggering my Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.
     To put it bluntly, I do not handle yelling and screaming, well.  This yelling and screaming, were never directed at me, but all the tranquilizers in the world, would not have taken my fear away.
      I told the nurse, "I understand that these people are very ill, but they do not have to be mean".
Finally, after much tearful protests, from me, the psychiatrist, allowed me to go home 3 days early.
      When it came time to leave, however, the psychiatrist did not want to give me a prescription for my new medication, Seroquel, which I had had success with, for several days.  He told me to "Follow up with your own doctor about Seroquel, she can give you a prescription".  I told him that:  "I wouldn't see her until Monday and I would be without this medication, which was helping me sleep and remain calm, for 3 days".  His response: "I don't believe the medication was helping you".  I told him that it was helping me, and he said very firmly: "It was being in the hospital, that helped you".  I asked him if he would give me 3 days worth of Seroquel, until, I saw my own psychiatrist.  "I suppose, that I can do that", he finally agreed.
    In all honesty, I was angry, by the time I left to go home.  They had wanted to keep me prisoner, for another 3 days, in this hospital, even though I was no longer a danger to myself, even though I was never a danger to anyone else, even though I was feeling much better.  And then the doctor wanted to refuse me the medication that he had put me on.  I felt as if I were being punished for speaking up, about all the shit going down on their floor, because I refused to tolerate it.  It will certainly affect my future decisions to seek help, in a hospital setting.  I am sorry, my friends, that I cannot say better things about my recent in-patient stay.

No comments :

Post a Comment