Thursday, March 21, 2013

     On Tuesday, I was having a hard time talking and breathing, so I called my boss at work, and told him that I was coming down with an infection or virus, and asked him if he could get another person to cover my shift on Wednesday.  He told me to stay home from work on Wednesday.
     Tuesday night, I had a rough time breathing and sleeping, but after a second dose of Nyquil, I slept until 1 PM, on Wednesday.  I was coughing, sneezing, and had a runny nose, but I have had the influenza vaccine, so I think, that it is just a terrible cold, aggravating my asthma.
      Today, which is Thursday, I woke up feeling better, my nose is still running and I am still coughing, I still sound awful, but overall, I don't feel as sick.  I did get irritated at my husband this morning because he kept interrupting me when I was using the bathroom, and I concluded that my lack of patience was due to the fact that I was sick.  But still, I went to work.
       It wasn't a total mistake, I got a lot of work done but I had some frightening moments.  You see, when my body is sick, my mind gets sick, usually.
     I was working, pulling all of the out of code (expired), packages off of the shelves, in the supermarket, where I work, and organizing those shelves to look nice, when I heard a screeching guitar playing.  At first I wondered if it was the saw being used, in the meat department, so I looked and realized that it was not the saw.  It sounded like very strange music, the kind that I hear when I hallucinate.  I panicked for a few minutes.  I felt my tears welling up, in my eyes.  I was hallucinating at work.  I knew then that I was sicker than I thought.  I sat down and my inner voice told me to calm down, not to worry, that the sounds would go away.  And they did.
     But later on,I kept hearing my name being called.  It sounded like someone was standing very close to me saying "Christine", over and over.  And there was no one there, and it wasn't the intercom system.  Thank God, that went away too, after a few minutes of relaxing and talking to myself, internally.
     Hallucinating scares me more than depression.  It is scary because you know that your mind is playing tricks on you.  It is very startling, and makes you feel out of control.  I am fortunate, in that the sounds and voices, in my mind do not tell me what to do, rather I hear strange music and people calling my name.
    I am very proud of myself, however, because I worked through my whole shift without breaking down or leaving early to go home, which I have done in the past.  I'm happy that over time, I am coping better.

No comments :

Post a Comment