Tuesday, March 26, 2013

     One of the things, that I have done, to try to help myself, is engaging in minimal television watching.  Television is filled with violence, trauma, and  tragedy.  I find that watching television brings back bad memories, and triggers flashbacks, negative thoughts, paranoia, which leads to depression in me.
     I do my best, to stick to watching comedies and educational programs, but every once in awhile, I will stray and watch something which, invariably shakes me up.  It could be a relatively benign show, even, like a talk show, but once abuse is mentioned, I find myself visiting my childhood again.
     This morning I watched "The Steve Wilkos Show", and they were discussing a boy who had been abused.  It was said, that his mother tried to drown him, in the bathtub when he was an infant.  It instantly brought back memories of my father deliberately holding my head under the faucet when I was a toddler, and not being able to breathe.  This memory invaded my life less than a year ago, when I started experiencing this particular flashback.
      I went on to watch "Dr. Phil", which was about a teenage girl who was beaten by her mother, and it reminded me of how my father used to hit me with a paddle before he sexually abused me.
      As I surfed through the channels, it became apparent, that television is sort of geared towards shaking people to the core.  Just think about the News programs on television.  It's all about human devastation, and very little good news is  ever reported.
      So I decided to watch some of "Ferris Bueller's Day Off", and that was a smart choice, compared to my other television choices, today.  It is a delightful comedy.
      Like most days though, the stereo is now playing.  I love to listen to music, especially as I write.  As I write this blog, I am, in fact, listening to Jimi Hendrix.

1 comment :