Wednesday, April 10, 2013

     It is official, I am in peri-menopause, and it is kicking my ass.  My days are now-filled with terrible hot flashes, which are causing my heart to race, and are causing shortness of breath, consequently scaring the Hell out of me.  I am becoming overly emotional, crying easily, and snapping at my husband.  During the nights, I toss and turn, going from feeling extremely hot to very cold, over and over, unable to sleep.  I have also lost my appetite and I am not eating enough.
     I saw a doctor yesterday who did an EKG and a thyroid test, and gave me some pamphlets about menopause.  She recommended black cohosh, an herbal supplement, which I ended up vomiting  this morning.  She told me that she could not prescribe any medication to me because she was unfamiliar with my history, and I took a lot of psychiatric meds.  She told me to see my regular doctor next week.  I was so angry, because I felt that she was afraid to give me the care that I needed, because I am a psychiatric patient, who has to take a lot of medication (I also have diabetes and GERD).  And, I didn't feel that I could wait a whole week to see my regular doctor.
     So, I called my doctor's office again and asked to speak with my doctor.  They insisted that I speak to their nurse instead, which also made me angry because I should be allowed to speak to my own doctor, if I need to.  Finally after much insistence, on my behalf, they fave me an appointment for 2 days from now.  I will keep you posted and wish me much luck.

1 comment :

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete