Wednesday, February 26, 2014

     At times, like a lot of people, I question myself, wondering, if I am in the right occupation.
Presently, I work as a part-time clerk, in the Meat Department of a supermarket.  This requires me to stock the refrigerated meat products, check for expired products, weigh and price products, wrap meat, clean work areas, and assist customers on the store floor, and at the butcher case. Not exactly rocket science.  And not exactly, making much of an impact on society.  Unless, of course, you want me to recommend a great steak for you to eat.
     On one hand, its a great job for me.  The guys I work with, are great to me.  Because of a strong union, I have taken several leave of absences, due to my illnesses, and always had a job, to come back to.  The job requires me to be on my feet, doing a lot of lifting, so it is a great physical work-out, also.  I know how to do my job well, and I love helping the customers.  My boss, says that I am his best employee, and that I am great at customer service.  And my job is located close to home and I usually have a ride (very few taxi rides).
     I wonder, quite often though, where I would be occupationally, if I did not have PTSD, Schizoaffective Disorder, and Panic Disorder.  Would I have ever made it through college?  What occupation would I have chosen?  Would I be more satisfied with my life?
     I may consider going back to college at some point.  I tried to go back to college about 10 years ago, but for many years, I was taking super heavy-duty anti-psychotics, and it was like a chemical lobotomy.  I just could not focus, concentrate, or even learn.  Later on, for one year, also, I was receiving electro-convulsive therapy  (shock treatments), and my memory would be wiped out, making learning impossible.  I no longer receive shock treatments, and my medications have been changed since then, so maybe I will have a chance at college, at some point.
    Honestly, I have no clue, what I want to be "when I grow up".  I have decided that I would like to make some type of good impact on society.  I ask myself, how do I go about doing that?  And now I wonder, with "My Uncomfortable Mind", if I am already doing just that......
   

2 comments :

  1. What makes a job worthwhile work is that it contributes to society. It serves, helps others or in any other way provides. Your job is worthwhile, I certainly couldn't cut a good steak - lol But what makes you a good person is the desire to do more and you are. Your blog is one way while your volunteering at your church is another. Keep it up - you're making a difference

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tony, thank you for reminding me, that the things that I do, are making an impact, even if it is a tiny one.

      Delete